With the cold weather starting to set in, what better to way to up your veggie and protein intake while warming your cockles than making a big batch of healthy and delicious soup. Perfect for meal prepping
, make a big batch and freeze it into portions to grab and go.
Feel free to swap out any veggies for what ever you have on hand – this is also a great way of using up any left over veg you have in the bottom of your fridge! Try this delicious and hearty protein soup to get you through the colder months.
: 10 mins
: 40 mins
: 50 mins
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of brown lentils
- 1 large onion – diced
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 zucchini
- 2 cups of cauliflower or broccoli
- 1 large potato
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano, thyme and a bay leaf
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Chop up all the veg into 1cm cubes.
- Grab a large saucepan and warm up your oil on a medium heat, add in your onion and stir gently for five minutes or until the onion starts to go translucent. Add in the garlic, carrot and celery and let it sweat together for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of your chopped veg (except the spinach and parsley) along with the dried lentils, herbs, bay leaf and stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for around 40 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through, remembering to give it an occasional stir from time to time.
- Remove the bay leaf and add the chopped spinach and parsley and season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes (if you like a bit of spice).
- Kilojoules: 957
- Total Fat: 9.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 1,082 mg
- Total carbs: 31.0 g
- Dietary fibre: 6.7 g
- Protein 7.9 g
Maintaining a nutritious diet filled with fresh vegetables, fruit and lean protein is super important for a healthy body, but if you are looking for an edge or for improved results in the gym there’s a huge variety of high-quality protein, and creatine supplements
available. For protein to help build and maintain muscle mass and to aid recovery from heavy and demanding exercise we recommend Dymatize – Elite 100% Whey
, Optimum Nutrition – Gold Standard 100% Casein
and Max’s – 100% Pure Whey Protein
For enhanced strength and exercise performance and reduced protein breakdown we also recommend Optimum Nutrition – Creatine Powder
, Dymatize – Creatine Micronized
and Rule 1 – R1 Creatine